RMAN Redundancy is not a Viable Retention Policy


Originally posted by me on the Pythian blog. This is an older post that I somehow forgot to post on my own blog, but another recent redundancy foul-up reminded me of it.

The story you are about to read is based on actual events. Names and paths have been changed to protect the innocent. I call this scenario “The Perfect Storm” because it took just the right combination of events and configurations. Sadly, this doesn’t (more...)

Migrating (and Upgrading!) Your EM12c Repository Database

This week I migrated our EM12c repository database to a new server as part of it's promotion to production status. Just to make it a little more exciting, the migration also involved an in-flight upgrade from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4. Much of this post is directly inspired by Martin Bach's post on the same subject. I ran into a few other snags that weren't mentioned so I thought it would (more...)

ORA-00600 [kkzlpllg:5] When Dropping MView Log

This week a co-worker and I have been doing some rapid-fire testing to improve fast-refresh performance on an old materialized view, which does some summary aggregations on a 1.9 billion row (and growing) master table. One of the things we tested was using the new-in-11gR2 COMMIT SCN feature. There is a great blog post describing the benefits of this feature by Alberto Dell'Era. To quickly summarize and over-simplify, it provides a much faster way (more...)

Battling Bigfile Backup Bottlenecks

Last Friday I kicked off a database backup to an NFS destination, using the standard "backup as compressed backupset database" syntax. Loyal readers of this blog may recall that I'm the proud custodian of a 25 Tb database, so this backup normally takes a few days, with an expected completion on Monday morning. However it was still running on Wednesday, and reviewing the logs I saw that there was just 1 channel (of the original (more...)

Why Is My MView Log Not Purging?

A few weeks ago we saw one of our tablespaces growing at a rate much higher than the others. Taking a look we saw that the biggest users of space were two materialized view logs, one being 110 Gb and the other 60 Gb. These logs were in place to facilitate the fast refresh of two materialized views, one for each log/table. These materialized views did some aggregations (sum) throughout the day on some important (more...)

What to Expect When You’re Changing the DB_UNIQUE_NAME

I recently had to change the db_unique_name of a database to make it jive with our typical database/DataGuard naming policy of appending the datacenter location. For the sake of this post let's say it was changed from ORCL to ORCL_NYC, since this database is in our fictional New York City datacenter.

I did a quick set of tests and thought I'd share the findings to save anyone any unpleasant surprises. Here are the things to (more...)