Credit for finding this bug is given to Daniel Ekberg – https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10435009. He got the official credit given by Oracle Corp for helping out with security related bugs in the January 2014 CPU. He found the bug and had the tenacity to track down and prove that it was a bug and not just a flaw in the logging mechanism where this first was indicated to occur.
Today is the day when (more...)
Time to get back into blogging. I stopped a while ago and the reason was two-fold. As I was leaving my job at Kentor AB I wanted to avoid any concerns with what I wrote while my three month long two week notice played out. The other reason was that (more...)
So calling Google Reader dead may be a bit premature, but Googles announcement of their intention to kill their baby all but killed it. On monday it is RIP for the reader. I’ve gone through disbelief to mourning the loss to a search for a replacement that best emulates what (more...)
You know how it is, when you have that feeling. You are on top of your game. You have a few quick brush strokes to add to a system to make it more dynamic. You have all the small needed changes in your head and you know it is just (more...)
This is the last post in this series and I’ll not introduce anything new here, but rather just summarise the changes explained and talk a bit about the value the solution delivers to the organisation.
Let’s first review the situation we faced before implementing the changes.
The cost of writing (more...)
Reducing storage requirements
In the last post in this series I talked about how we sped up the move of data from operational to historical tables from around 16 hours down to just seconds. You find that post here.
The last area of concern was the amount of storage this (more...)
Moving to history tables
In the last post I talked about how we made the speed of actually writing all those log-records much faster. It has to date been so fast that no a single report of a problem has been filed. you find that post here.
Once the data (more...)
Writing log records
The last post in this series introduced the problem briefly. You find that post here.
In this post I’ll talk about the changes made to make that writing of log records fast enough. There were 50 million records that was written. Each of them pretty much in its (more...)
In my work among other things I tune and tweak solutions for EXADATA. Today I’ll write about a big improvement we achieved with a process that moves data from the operational tables to the ones where the history is stored.
This will not be a technical post. While I (more...)
In this post I’ll finish up the CRUD implementation using records, procedures and views. This series of blog posts started with this post which was followed by this.
At this point we have a working report that links to a form. The report is based on a view and the form is based on a procedure. At this point the form is only loading the record in using a procedure that uses a record in its signature. In this post we’ll complete the functionality by using the same form for insert, update, and delete functionality.
Let’s start with adding a (more...)