Oracle Reserved word as a Table name

I ran into a table today that was named GROUP, so I attempted to do a
SELECT * FROM GROUP;
Since GROUP is a reserved word in Oracle, I got an "ORA-00903: invalid table name" error. So how do I query the table? I went into SQL Developer and was able to view the data in the table via the "Data" tab. So how was that possible? It ended up SQL Developer was doing a

SELECT * FROM "GROUP";

I knew that SQL Developer placed double quotes around the schema, table, and column names in the CREATE TABLE statements in (more...)

ORDER BY Clause in "Filter" field In SQL Developer

I was in SQL Developer today and discovered something by accident. I double clicked on a table name in the "Connections" tab and went to the "Data" tab to view rows of data. In the "Filter:" field I entered a WHERE clause but accidentally also included an ORDER BY clause, too. The rows of data displayed in the order I requested. This got me to thinking. The "Sort" button provides a basic column by column sorting order, but if you need more complicated sorting logic you could just type it into the "Filter:" field.

This is useful if you want (more...)

"When All Else Fails…"

This is on a shirt that I received as a present at work today.

Our "Friend" ORA-01555

Have you ever had your Oracle program ever get the dreaded ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number 10 with name "_SYSSMU10$" too small error, you rerun the program, and it runs to completion with no errors? No changes to the code. No changes to the program parameters. No changes to the database. You just rerun the program and it works. As an application developer I would just say that the DBA needs to increase the amount of snapshot space and leave it up to the DBA to handle it. But since it is not a re-creatable event, the DBA (more...)

Diving into Java

Well I finally wrote my first professional Java program. It was professional in the sense that it did more than "Hello World" and was for work. There was data made available on an external Internet web page. To get the data the users had to: select from 4 drop down lists, press a button, copy the data out of MS Notepad, paste the data into Excel. The kicker was to get all the data they were going to have to do this process 3,591 times. My challenge was to automate the download of all this data off the web page (more...)