Relational DBMS used to be fairly straightforward product suites, which boiled down to:
- A big SQL interpreter.
- A bunch of administrative and operational tools.
- Some very optional add-ons, often including an application development tool.
Now, however, most RDBMS are sold as part of something bigger.
- Oracle has hugely thickened its (more...)
The 2013 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Operational Database Management Systems is out. “Operational” seems to be Gartner’s term for what I call short-request, in each case the point being that OLTP (OnLine Transaction Processing) is dubious term when systems omit strict consistency, and when even strictly consistent systems may (more...)
What’s all the fuss about Big Data?
Big Data is the collective term for very large and potentially complex data sets that are deemed to be so large that it’s difficult to handle the data using traditional tools and applications such as Relational Database Management Systems. Scientists in the fields of physics, genetics and meteorology were previous examples of those that encountered Big Data.
This past week I spent some time setting up and running various Hadoop workloads on my CDH cluster. After some Hadoop jobs had been running for several minutes, I noticed something quite alarming — the system CPU percentages where extremely high.
This cluster is comprised of 2s8c16t Xeon L5630 nodes with 96 GB of RAM running CentOS Linux 6.2 with java 1.6.0_30. The details of those are:
$ cat /etc/redhat-release CentOS release 6.2 (Final) $ uname -a Linux chaos 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 7 00:52:02 GMT 2012 (more...)
The other day I watched the Oracle Big Data forum. Now available here. A half-day event with various speakers on the subject of BigData, including Tom Kyte , a mentor who I admire!
In the forum they have gone over Oracle's approach to Big Data and allow me to summarise it below:
- Acquire - Collect Big Data, identify it, where is it? Then store it in Oracle NoSQL - a value-pair database
- Organise - Stage Big Data in a transient elastic database. Using Oracle Data Integrator and the Oracle Hadoop connector, reduce and distil it.
- Analyse - Start Analytics on (more...)